You know how you hear of people who have been through really hard trials and heart breaks, who always say 'they didn't think it could happen to them'.. Well, I didn't think this could ever happen to us.... On Tuesday, June 28th Matt was diagnosed with testicular cancer. When I heard the news I felt my heart break. I felt like I couldn't breathe. How could this happen to us at a time like this. He is so young. He's in Residency and is so busy. On top of that I was recovering from a back injury. I guess it's true that when it rains, it pours. That night is kind of a blur. I cried, I cried, and I cried some more. I didn't know how we were going to get through it and I didn't know what it entailed. The following day I went with Matt to meet with the urologist to discuss what needed to happen. Matt had already been doing research on it before he was diagnosed officially and told me that it is one of the "good" types of cancer to have because it is very responsive to surgery, chemo, and radiation. That made me feel better, but still, people have died from this kind of cancer before. The urologist recommended going to surgery almost immediately to take out the cancer and send it to pathology. Matt was scheduled to go to the operating room on that Friday. The results of the pathology would largely dictate what needed to be done afterwards. We didn't know if the cancer had spread to his lungs or brain or anything. Even after we spoke to the urologist, and what he was saying was promising, I was still feeling unsteady. I remember talking to my sister Tiffany on the phone that day and she was telling me that I would surprise myself as to how strong and brave I would be through this whole experience. That I would be able to feel strength from my Father in Heaven. She would know because she has gone through more heart break in her life than anyone I know. As the days went on I knew what Tiffany meant, I could literally feel the prayers that were said for my family and me. I have never felt that before as strongly as I did the next couple of days. It was amazing.
On Thursday night Matt's parents and two brothers came into town. They wanted to be there for us and I was truly grateful that they did. Friday morning came and Matt's dad and brothers and I all went to the hospital. Pat stayed home with the kids which allowed me relax and focus on Matt. I was able to stay with him up until they wheeled him off to surgery.

Matt right before he went into surgery. Oh how I love this man!
The surgery went perfectly. The urologist was very positive with how the surgery went but said that we wouldn't know the details until the pathologist could look at the tumor. It would take several days to get the results back. We just found out a couple of day ago that the preliminary results showed that he had a type of cancer called seminoma, which is the easiest to treat. We haven't heard about the final results but have an upcoming appointment with the Urologist to find out what further treatment/follow up is in store for Matthew. We are very hopeful that he won't need a lot of chemotherapy or radiation treatments.
I will do my best to keep you all updated with what is going on but in the mean time please keep our little family in your prayers.








6 comments:
Sweet Tana...you are just the greatest person ever, let's start with that, and let me say that I completely agree with your sister, somehow we survive the hard times and make it through them so much stronger. I'm hopeful for you guys, from what I remember in nursing school that is the "best" kind of cancer to get. It still doesn't change how hard it is to get stopped dead in your tracks and get news like that. You will be in my prayers everyday, I wished I was closer so I could help you out but let me know if you ever need someone to vent or cry to. Hang in there, there are so many of us that look up to you for the strong person that you are.
Wow, We will keep you, Matt and the boys in our prayers. Our favorite saying in this house is - I CAN DO HARD THINGS. And we find that we can.
My friend, once again I'm so sorry. Cancer sucks. I hate it. But you and Matt are so strong and love eachother so much that I know you can get through anything, together:) I'll pray for a safe recovery & good results. Love you!
Glad to hear the path results were something to smile about with this trial. We have been and will keep praying for you guys!
Oh Tana, I'll be praying for you. I'm so glad that it's a very treatable cancer, but even so, I know it must still be so scary and difficult. Keep us updated.
Tana, I was shocked when I read this....how can Matt have cancer?! We'll certainly keep Matt in our prayers. I'm so relieved that his surgery went well and that the outlook is positive. I love that you've turned to Heavenly Father through this all and not away from Him. You are so strong. Best of luck with everything.
Post a Comment