He's Here!! Our little man came to us on Tuesday July, 24th. I can't tell you how much I love him already and feel so lucky to be his mother!
On to the our very unique labor and delivery story.. :)
Like most day's before going into labor I was feeling exhausted. On Monday, I had no energy to do the basics, like cooking, cleaning, playing with the kids and so forth. Matt had a meeting he had to go to that night so I was on my own again putting the kids to bed, not an easy task for a 9 month pregnant woman. When Matt came home that night I told him that I was sorry that I haven't been on top of the house chores and begged him to help me the next day (Tuesday) with getting things in order in case I was to go into labor soon so at least the house would be clean for when my mother-in-law comes. I jinxed myself by saying that! I went to bed that night completely spent! I was having trouble sleeping, especially over the last two days, so I took a full unisom instead of my usual half (of course!). As luck would have it I started waking up with contractions. I tried to sleep through them but wasn't having much luck. So finally around 1:30am I started to keep track of them. They would range from 4 minutes apart to 8 minutes apart. But every time I would have one they became more and more painful. I kept telling myself that I Can't go into labor tonight! 1) because my house isn't clean. 2) Matt was working on Tuesday and was on call Wednesday and I didn't want him to have to use any of his sick days because he only has 4 left for the next 2 years of residency!! (that's a whole other story!!) and 3) I just wasn't ready! I decided to get up and try and pick up the house in hopes that maybe the contractions would go away. They still wouldn't go away. So around 3:30 I woke Matt up and told him that I thought it was time. By this time my contractions were 5-6 minuets apart. We called up my friend Syleisa to come over and watch the kids for us and then we were on our way to the hospital.
Right before going to the hospital.. 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant.
That was a long 35 minutes to the hospital. We arrived and went to triage to see how far I was before being admitted. I was doing ok at this point. I wasn't screaming yet but I was still in pain. There were two other women that came in right behind me and they were screaming and crying. I kind of felt stupid being there just cause I wasn't at that point yet. Well they checked and I was dilated to a 3/4 and was about 75% effaced. They said they would check me in an hour and if I wasn't progressing they would send me home. Really? just like that they would send me home even though my contractions were now 4-5 minutes apart and getting stronger?! I was so stressed that they would send me home. I knew I was in labor and I knew that if they sent me home I would be back in a couple of hours or would have the baby in the car! They came back and checked me and they said that maybe I've progressed a little but weren't sure so they would come back in another hour. We found out that the other two women that came in behind me screaming were sent home so I was really freaking out that I would be next. Matt spoke with them and explained that it was going to be at least a 45 minute drive to get back with traffic and that it would not be smart for us to go home in case things progressed quickly after being discharged. By this time I was really hurting. I wanted an epidural! Luckily they came back and told me that they were admitting me. Hooray!!
We went up stairs to Labor and delivery and immediately I asked for the epidural. Oh epidurals.. I love them and hate them at the same time. I got the epidural but it wasn't working very well. I could feel my legs starting to get numb but nothing was working on my stomach. I had to wait about 45 minutes until the CRNA was able to come back and give me a different type of medicine but even after that it still wasn't working. Oh I was in a lot of pain. So not fun. Finally he came back and tried one more type of drug in hopes that it would work and if not I would have to have the epidural done again. Lucky for me it worked! hooray! But now after having all of those drugs in me, my lower half was as numb as it could possibly get.
Right after that I guess I had 3 very strong contractions back to back (Thankfully I couldn't feel any of them!) which made the baby's heart rate drop dangerously. They flipped me onto my side in hopes that it would help. Things started to look a little better thankfully. I was feeling sleepy and was hoping I could get some rest before the delivery took place. Matt decided to call up our friend Syleisa, who had our kids, to find out how they were doing. I was listening to him tell her that I would probably have the baby around 4:00. I remember looking at the clock and it was about 12:15pm and thinking ugh I don't want to have to wait 4 more hours! After he got off the phone he got up to go look at the monitors to see how things were looking and the heart rate was dropping again. The nurse got on the phone with the doctor to find out what he wanted to do next. At that time Matt happened to look over and notice something a little out of the ordinary. The baby's entire head was in full view!!! Matt shouted at the nurse, "THE BABY IS COMING OUT!" She had still been on the phone and looked over, distracted. I, of course, couldn't move nor could I feel a thing and started freaking out about what was truly going on. Matt shouted again and sprinted into the hallway.. BTW he had a blanket wrapped around his shoulders
because he was freezing in the room.. He reminded me of a little boy with a super hero cape on. :) anyways, he shouted to no one in particular, "WE NEED SOME HELP IN HERE WE'VE GOT A BABY COMING!!!" In the two seconds he was gone the baby practically fell onto the bed and was picked up by the nurse with a towel. After a brief moment of panic, with no breathing, Drew let out a good strong cry. When it was all over the troops arrived to finish up. I was overwhelmed by the whirlwind of activity that soon followed in the room with everyone trying to put gloves on, getting the doctor dressed, taking the bottom part of the bed off, and handling the baby and getting him cleaned up, etc. I remember lying there, helpless, and not knowing how to feel. I was so full of emotion, caught somewhere between laughing and crying... Bottom line, he was finally here and the worst parts, over! I couldn't believe it.
Onto the many many pictures...
Andrew soon after joining us...
I was so excited for my boys to meet their new little brother. They were both very intrigued by him.
On to the our very unique labor and delivery story.. :)
Like most day's before going into labor I was feeling exhausted. On Monday, I had no energy to do the basics, like cooking, cleaning, playing with the kids and so forth. Matt had a meeting he had to go to that night so I was on my own again putting the kids to bed, not an easy task for a 9 month pregnant woman. When Matt came home that night I told him that I was sorry that I haven't been on top of the house chores and begged him to help me the next day (Tuesday) with getting things in order in case I was to go into labor soon so at least the house would be clean for when my mother-in-law comes. I jinxed myself by saying that! I went to bed that night completely spent! I was having trouble sleeping, especially over the last two days, so I took a full unisom instead of my usual half (of course!). As luck would have it I started waking up with contractions. I tried to sleep through them but wasn't having much luck. So finally around 1:30am I started to keep track of them. They would range from 4 minutes apart to 8 minutes apart. But every time I would have one they became more and more painful. I kept telling myself that I Can't go into labor tonight! 1) because my house isn't clean. 2) Matt was working on Tuesday and was on call Wednesday and I didn't want him to have to use any of his sick days because he only has 4 left for the next 2 years of residency!! (that's a whole other story!!) and 3) I just wasn't ready! I decided to get up and try and pick up the house in hopes that maybe the contractions would go away. They still wouldn't go away. So around 3:30 I woke Matt up and told him that I thought it was time. By this time my contractions were 5-6 minuets apart. We called up my friend Syleisa to come over and watch the kids for us and then we were on our way to the hospital.
Right before going to the hospital.. 38 weeks and 2 days pregnant.
That was a long 35 minutes to the hospital. We arrived and went to triage to see how far I was before being admitted. I was doing ok at this point. I wasn't screaming yet but I was still in pain. There were two other women that came in right behind me and they were screaming and crying. I kind of felt stupid being there just cause I wasn't at that point yet. Well they checked and I was dilated to a 3/4 and was about 75% effaced. They said they would check me in an hour and if I wasn't progressing they would send me home. Really? just like that they would send me home even though my contractions were now 4-5 minutes apart and getting stronger?! I was so stressed that they would send me home. I knew I was in labor and I knew that if they sent me home I would be back in a couple of hours or would have the baby in the car! They came back and checked me and they said that maybe I've progressed a little but weren't sure so they would come back in another hour. We found out that the other two women that came in behind me screaming were sent home so I was really freaking out that I would be next. Matt spoke with them and explained that it was going to be at least a 45 minute drive to get back with traffic and that it would not be smart for us to go home in case things progressed quickly after being discharged. By this time I was really hurting. I wanted an epidural! Luckily they came back and told me that they were admitting me. Hooray!!
We went up stairs to Labor and delivery and immediately I asked for the epidural. Oh epidurals.. I love them and hate them at the same time. I got the epidural but it wasn't working very well. I could feel my legs starting to get numb but nothing was working on my stomach. I had to wait about 45 minutes until the CRNA was able to come back and give me a different type of medicine but even after that it still wasn't working. Oh I was in a lot of pain. So not fun. Finally he came back and tried one more type of drug in hopes that it would work and if not I would have to have the epidural done again. Lucky for me it worked! hooray! But now after having all of those drugs in me, my lower half was as numb as it could possibly get.
Right after that I guess I had 3 very strong contractions back to back (Thankfully I couldn't feel any of them!) which made the baby's heart rate drop dangerously. They flipped me onto my side in hopes that it would help. Things started to look a little better thankfully. I was feeling sleepy and was hoping I could get some rest before the delivery took place. Matt decided to call up our friend Syleisa, who had our kids, to find out how they were doing. I was listening to him tell her that I would probably have the baby around 4:00. I remember looking at the clock and it was about 12:15pm and thinking ugh I don't want to have to wait 4 more hours! After he got off the phone he got up to go look at the monitors to see how things were looking and the heart rate was dropping again. The nurse got on the phone with the doctor to find out what he wanted to do next. At that time Matt happened to look over and notice something a little out of the ordinary. The baby's entire head was in full view!!! Matt shouted at the nurse, "THE BABY IS COMING OUT!" She had still been on the phone and looked over, distracted. I, of course, couldn't move nor could I feel a thing and started freaking out about what was truly going on. Matt shouted again and sprinted into the hallway.. BTW he had a blanket wrapped around his shoulders
because he was freezing in the room.. He reminded me of a little boy with a super hero cape on. :) anyways, he shouted to no one in particular, "WE NEED SOME HELP IN HERE WE'VE GOT A BABY COMING!!!" In the two seconds he was gone the baby practically fell onto the bed and was picked up by the nurse with a towel. After a brief moment of panic, with no breathing, Drew let out a good strong cry. When it was all over the troops arrived to finish up. I was overwhelmed by the whirlwind of activity that soon followed in the room with everyone trying to put gloves on, getting the doctor dressed, taking the bottom part of the bed off, and handling the baby and getting him cleaned up, etc. I remember lying there, helpless, and not knowing how to feel. I was so full of emotion, caught somewhere between laughing and crying... Bottom line, he was finally here and the worst parts, over! I couldn't believe it.
Our little Andrew Dee Nelson was 6 lb 9 oz, 19.5 in long, born at 12:22 p.m.
Andrew soon after joining us...
My first time holding my baby..
My family of boys. I can't believe I have 3 beautiful, healthy little boys.
Ready to go home.
I feel so blessed to have a healthy little baby boy!










5 comments:
Oh my! Tana, that is one of the craziest birth stories I've heard! You have such a cute little family. Congratulations!!
I think it's fair to say- we do not have birth stories in common! We do, however, both have adorable boys!
So happy Drew is here- healthy- and darling as the rest of your family! I can't wait to meet him!!
And...you look great by the way! Who looks like that on the day of delivery?
Tana! What in the world?! I saw your post on facebook about your latest birth story! He fell out on to the bed?! AGHHH! So crazy. One of the craziest birth stories I've heard yet!!
So glad he arrived safe and sound. Congratulations to you and your brood of boys!!
Oh my goodness what a crazy birth! I'm so happy he is here and healthy! The pictures are adorable and your little family is SO cute!
Great article. I read this article properly. This is one of the best posts. Thanks sharing this article
threadless
tshirt hell
teefury uk
80s tees
teepublic uk
teespring
spreadshirt coupon
redbubble coupon
Post a Comment